Drill presses come in handy for woodworking projects where you have to repetitively drill. They help you finish your woodworking projects more precisely and efficiently.
It should also be powerful enough so that it can drill through thick wooden objects without damaging them.
There are different types of drill presses. It depends on what type of work you are planning to do with your drill press when it comes to choosing the right one for yourself.
For instance, you should go for a floor drill press if you plan to work on big projects or a benchtop drill press if you plan to work on small projects.
Since there are a lot of drill presses available on the market, it becomes quite challenging to opt for the best one that is sturdy and helps you complete the woodworking job efficiently.
Therefore, we have curated a list of the best drill presses for woodworking jobs. Read on to know more about these drill presses.
|WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press||Prime||Buy Now|
|SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press||Prime||Buy Now|
|WEN 4210T 10 In. Drill Press with Laser||Prime||Buy Now|
|WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press||Prime||Buy Now|
Top 6 Drill Presses For Woodworking
Below, you can find the review of the best six drill presses. You will find the features, pros, and cons of each drill press with their specific reviews.
No matter if you are a DIYer who takes up woodworking projects as a hobby or an intermediate professional craftsperson, you can choose any of these high-quality drill presses for best results.
1. WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
WEN 4208 drill press is offered at a very affordable price. This compact drill press runs on 120 volts and 60 HZ motor that always delivers smooth performance even when you run it at the highest speed setting.
The machine comes with five adjustable speeds between 740 and 3140 RPM, which allows you to use it for various projects and on different materials.
The worktable of this tool measures 6-1/2 x 6-1/2” and it is easy to adjust with great flexibility. You can tilt the worktable up to 45 degrees right or left.
Moreover, the drill press comes with in-built key storage for the keyed chuck of half-inch, which diminishes your chances of losing it.
- Ideal for hobbyists and homeowners who want to work on metal and light-duty work projects
- Compact design with a measurement of 7.5 x 22.9 x 11 inches
- Great for small work spaces since it’s easy to store and move
- Easy to assemble
- Durable since it’s constructed using solid high-quality metal and not from cheap plastic
- Affordable price
- You have to bolt it to your workbench before working since its top is heavy
2. WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press
This compact benchtop drill press is perfect for the home handy worker who wants to achieve precision and accuracy in their work. It has a size of 12 inches. This drill press has a powerful 2/3 HP motor that allows you to do most of the drilling jobs, including light metal sheets, plastic, and wood.
However, you can only penetrate metal sheets that are less than half-inch thick with this machine.
The speed range of WEN 4214 drill press can be set anywhere from 580 to 3200 RPMs with equal torque. The 3-1/8-inch of spindle travel is quite deep and has a locking liner depth stop that delivers extra accuracy while you repeat the same drilling operation multiple times.
This machine is ideal for drilling deep holes while working on DIY projects in a limited space.
The WEN 4214 drill press is equipped with an adjustable worktable made of cast iron that measures 9-1/2 x 9-1/2” as well as a table roller extension that adds support up to 17 inches.
Due to the large size of the worktable, you can easily put your wooden boards on it. Plus, you can adjust the height of its table through the rack and pinion system.
Additionally, WEN 4214 features a beveling worktable, cast iron base, and a keyed chuck of 5/8 inches. This drill press can be tilted up to 45 degrees right or left, which offers better control while working.
- Powerful 2/3 HP, 5 amp induction motor provides sufficient power to easily work on various materials, including glass, metal, and wood
- Large cast iron table offers enough space
- You can easily adjust the variable speed between 580 and 3200 RPMs without manually moving the belts
- LED digital screen shows you the speed level
- Accurate laser and bright onboard work light guarantee maximum drilling accuracy
- Easy to assemble in less than 20 minutes with simple instructions to follow and ready-to-use package
- You have to manually unscrew a nut in order to tilt the table and change its angle
- Not great for professional woodworking projects
3. SKIL 3320-01 10-Inch Drill Press
This is a small and quick benchtop type drill press that is ideal for small workshops and wooden crafts. It is light in weight and small in size.
This drilling machine is great for entry-level and intermediate DIYers and woodworkers. SKIL 3320-01 drill press has 3.2 mp and is 10 inches in size with a half-inch keyed chuck, which allows you to use several bits with this machine.
The motor of this precise drill press offers an amazing torque that allows you to penetrate even the thickest wooden materials. It has five variable speeds that range from 750 to 3050 RPM. This makes this drill press suitable for several in-home projects.
The worktable of this machine has a decent size of 7-5/8 x 7-5/8 inches. It is made of cast iron and it can be tilted from 0 to 45 degrees, which gives you additional flexibility and precision.
You can also adjust the height of the work table, which lets you do different complex jobs.
Furthermore, this drill machine features laser for higher accuracy and an adjustable depth-stop.
- Ideal for home projects
- 5 different speed settings
- Does not make any noise even when you use it at a higher RPM
- The 1-inch swing allows you to use it for any woodworking project
- You can tilt the bed up to 45 degrees for more ease and comfort
- The 2-beam laser delivers accurate drilling results with precise aim
- Can be used when working in low light
- Offers value for money with high-quality, smooth operation, and quiet motor without any wobbles
- Difficulty in using depth stop owing to confusing instructions
- Lasers quickly use up AA batteries, which means frequent changing of batteries
4. WEN 4210 Drill Press with Laser, 10-Inch
This drill press is a benchtop model but still, it has all the features of a huge industrial floor drill press. This compact, 10-inch machine offers five speeds for you to choose from, ranging from 600 to 3100 RPM. It can drill holes up to 2.5 inches deep.
The worktable of this drill press measures 7-5/8” x 7-5/8” and it is made of cast iron. You can easily adjust the height of this sturdy worktable using a crank. Moreover, this machine features a laser, work light, and built-in key storage to the half-inch chuck.
- Simple to use and precise depth stop that sturdily hits at the set depth
- Convenient to use with easy set up and operation
- Strong base made of solid cast iron that allows it to run silently and smoothly
- Quick and effortless procedure to manually adjust the belt if you want to change the speed
- You have to manually adjust the laser before working
5. Shop Fox W1668 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press
This is a premium benchtop drill press that you can use for your woodworking projects. It is offered by Shop Fox, which is a popular brand.
The machine is equipped with a ¾-HP motor. It lets you penetrate both hard as well as soft woods, along with mild steel.
Owing to its compact size, you can easily store this drill press in small spaces.
Shop Fox W1668 drill press has 12 variable speed levels and its motor speed ranges from 250 to 3050 RPM. You can drill through metallic items when you put this drill press at the lowest speed without generating heat. With a 13-1/14 swing, you can also use it on wide objects.
Plus, the tilt of Shop Fox W1668 drill press is 90 degrees, which provides you a better angle while working. You can dig really deep holes using this drill press owing to its spindle reach of 3-1/4”. Moreover, you can even drill through commercial material with this tool.
- Drills wide objects as well as light metal objects
- Allows you to drill deep holes in wooden objects with spindle reach of 3-1/4”
- 12 changeable speeds
- The tilt of 90 degrees provides a better angle while working
- Delivers high performance, speed, and precision
- High price
6. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
Delta 18- 900L has lots of features and provides superior performance. This high-quality drill press has a tough construction, which makes it durable. The machine has 16 variable speed levels. You can easily change the speed of this tool.
This Delta drill press is ideal for commercial woodworking as well as metal drilling. The depth scale on this machine lets you measure the depth of your holes.
Moreover, it has a bright laser cross-hair that can be spotted in bright light surroundings.
You can easily as well as quickly adjust the power of this tool as per the wood type you are drilling through its auto tension belt feature. Additionally, this drill press has a 6-inch quill stroke for drilling deep holes.
- Ideal for drilling hard plastic, metal, and wood
- 16 different speed levels
- 6-inch quill stroke lets you drill deep holes in thick woods
- The worktable can be tilted up to 48 degrees
- Auto tension belt wields required force and is changed automatically
- High price
Benefits of buying a high-quality woodworking drill press
Drill presses for woodworking have a lot of benefits as compared to handheld models, which makes them ideal for workshops and hobby shops. Some of their benefits include:
- Steady: They are quite steady for drilling accurate holes every time without any error even when you are using them at their highest RPM.
- Powerful: They are more powerful than handheld drills since they can run at high-speed rates. You can penetrate hard and thick woods using drill presses since they deliver a lot of power.
- Precise: These machines offer precision. They allow you to quickly finish the job with accuracy since they are completely stationary.
Choosing the right drill press for woodworking
So, how can you purchase the right drill machine for your woodworking projects? Simple, just see if the machine has the following features as per your requirements and you are good to go.
Drill press type
There are two main types of drill presses when it comes to woodworking projects. These include floor and benchtop drill presses.
Both of these drill presses have their own benefits and drawbacks that you must consider before you decide which one is ideal for you.
Floor drill presses have a bigger work table with a powerful motor that can penetrate thin metal sheets as well as wood. They are more steady and versatile. Floor drill presses are ideal for large projects with tough materials.
However, they are only ideal for commercial projects and not for home, hobby, or DIY projects. Plus, they are not portable since they are large in size. Floor drill tools are quite expensive as compared to benchtop models.
On the other hand, benchtop drill presses have a smaller work table with a moderate motor that provides enough power for smaller tasks. These are ideal for people who have a small workstation or shop. They are portable owing to their lightweight.
Moreover, benchtop drill machines are less expensive as opposed to floor models. Benchtop drill presses are more popular than floor drill presses.
The motor power you need depends on the projects you want to work on using your drill press. A lot of woodworking drill machines have half to two HP power.
You should choose a bigger motor than you require since then you can use the machine on different, tougher jobs if required.
However, if your budget is low, you can go for a less powerful motor.
Depending on the type of work you want to do with your drill press, you must choose a drill press that does much more than drilling. Apart from carving circular holes in wooden objects, you would also want to cut, shape, and polish your wooden furniture when required.
For this, you must see the chuck size, which will let you know the size of the bits that can be used. The chuck on a drill press is the clamp with three jaws that is used to firmly tighten the bit in the machine. Big bits require big chucks and small bits require small chucks.
You should look for a drill press that can fit in different bit sizes so that you can get more projects done. There are different chuck sizes in different drill presses. This lets you fit in various kinds of woodworking drill bits as per your purpose.
Moreover, you can see what type of woods and other materials your drill press can cut, such as soft woods like pine, hardwoods like oak, metal, etc.
The speed of a drill press is indicated through RPM (rotations per minute). Higher RPM means the speed of the drill is more and the drill can rotate quicker.
Drill presses come with different speeds since different projects and woods require different speed rates. You can drill thinner materials at high-speed rates and stronger materials at low-speed rates.
Number of speed levels
Every drill press has fixed number of speed levels within their range. You can choose these for various materials.
More number of speed levels offer more options. Moreover, you must see that the speed levels can be easily adjustable so that you can quickly change them and get back to your drilling project.
Smooth chuck and spindle
You must see that your drill press should have a smooth chuck and spindle. This means the chuck should not wobble while you fit bits into it.
Moreover, the spindle assembly should be sturdy in order to avoid accidents.
Check out the length of the spindle in the drill press. The spindle length lets you know how much deep holes you can dig using your drill press.
This means when the spindle reach is more, you can dig deeper holes. Therefore, you must measure the quill stroke and see that the quill lock is smooth.
When buying a drill press for woodworking projects, make sure you keep in mind some specific features of these tools such as their motor power, speed range, speed settings, types, etc.
The drill press should be easy and comfortable to use for lengthy projects and should offer you a perfect drilling experience while you carve the wood.
You can choose any one of the above-mentioned drill presses since all of them are quite good. And, no matter which one you choose, you will get higher precision, efficiency, and accuracy from these powerful tools.
Plus, you can depend on them for heavy and long projects. These amazing drill machines easily and quickly penetrate all types of wood with power as compared to simple handheld drills.